Photo from Etsy
Picture this: your best friend is getting married, she has asked you to be her maid of honor, you already have your dress, all the little details are being prepared, you feel so excited, and can’t wait for the actual wedding day. Finally you remember that the wedding preparation is not the only thing you should be worrying about – you also have to write a beautiful speech that everyone is going to listen to during the reception.
How do you go about it? Read on for 10 tips on how to slay your maid of honor speech.
1. Start with a nice introduction
First things first, you need to introduce yourself. You can’t expect everyone to know who you are. Chances are, many of the couple’s distant relatives are also present so you need to consider this. After all, friendly introductions never hurt anyone.
2. Share the story of your friendship
To make it easier for you to connect with everyone, you can tell them how you and the bride know each other and slide in a couple of stories about how the two of you became friends. You can also throw in some nostalgic memories specially if you two go way back.
Photo from childmags.com
3. As much as possible, avoid inside jokes
At this point, you’ve already established yourself as the bride’s best friend so you don’t need to emphasize it more. Inside jokes will not only distance yourself from the audience, they will also make everyone unresponsive. Put yourself in their shoes, no matter how funny a story is, it would be hard to understand if you don’t know the context. You can crack some jokes but make sure that everyone gets it.
4. Don’t forget about the groom
It may be true that you have shared a lot of memories with the bride, but always remember that it’s her wedding day. As the maid of honor, you need to acknowledge the presence of the groom, besides, no wedding can exist if the groom isn’t there.
5. Spill some stories about the couple
Hearing stories about a couple from the perspective of a friend is always fun. You can spill some funny moments and talk about their love story. Just remember, there are things that only you and the couple should know about; so it’s best to run this through with the bride before the wedding.
6. Interact with the audience
You’re the one holding the microphone and talking in front of everyone but that doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t interact with the audience. If you don’t want your audience to start losing their interest, you can always ask questions about the couple and have everyone answer them. That way, you not only get to share interesting things, but you are also able to keep their attention focused on you.
7. Offer some words of wisdom and wishes
Before you end your speech, it’s nice to share some words of wisdom and wish them a happy life together. As the bride’s best friend, you are the person who knows her the best and for sure, you have been a big part of their relationship. That’s why, you don’t have to be an expert on love to give them some advice.
Photo from solomonevents.com
8. Don’t postpone writing
If you want to deliver a speech that will tug on the heartstrings of everyone, you need to start writing as soon as possible. Your first draft won’t be the final words that you will say during the wedding because there will be a lot of revisions. Writing everything you want to say doesn’t happen overnight.
9. Keep it short
Keep in mind that you don’t have the whole reception program to yourself. Aside from you, other people are also going to speak. You need to have a general idea of how long your speech should be. Also, you can’t guarantee that the attention of the audience will still be on you if you take too long.
10. Be yourself
And finally, always remember to be yourself. You are the maid of honor for a good reason. If the bride loves you, there’s almost a 100% chance that the people she loves will also come to like you.
So what else are you waiting for? Start typing and have fun!
Your wedding is fast approaching which means that the search for the best wedding coordinator begins. But before the search continues, here are 5 important reasons why it’s best to hire a coordinator rather than to personally organize your wedding all by yourself.
1. Time Efficient – Planning your wedding may take plenty of your time or worse, it may actually take all of time. So it’s not advisable to organize your own wedding especially if you’re working. It may just look simple but weddings are consist of lots and lots of details. Worst case scenario is, you get too busy at work that you forgot other important elements like gifts for your principal sponsors or prizes for the games.
2. Working with amazing vendors – Wedding coordinators may be in business for more than 10 years or have organized tons of weddings already. So naturally, they’re more updated or informed about the best suppliers to work with in the industry. They already already know who the most efficient and time conscious suppliers are. At the same time, they have the power to ‘haggle’ which is very important especially if you have a tight budget.
3. Staying on the budget – Staying on the budget is very important and the role of the coordinator here is vital. As your wedding coordinator, they will make sure that you’re just spending the right amount on certain details – your bridal gown, for example. From your initial budget they will discuss with you in detail the amount you will spend and they can endorse suppliers that will match your budget.
4. Detail – oriented – Wedding coordinators are so particular with details especially with contracts. With the help of a trusted and an expert coordinator, it’s a lot easier for you to connect with suppliers and you will be sure that all your requests and demands are being taken care of.
5. Less Stress – Hiring a wedding coordinator will calm you knowing that someone’s assisting you all throughout the whole wedding process. If your sole reason for wanting to organize your own wedding is because you wanted to get involved, then you shouldn’t worry because every aspect is for your approval. You’re still the one to decide on everything, the coordinator is just there to assist you and to make sure that all is well.