Everyone looks forward to the reception—the sumptuous food, unlimited drinks, and the celebration itself. But what should the timeline at the reception be like? Unless you have a competent and resourceful wedding coordinator, you should be thinking of the complete rundown of the event. There are no rules on how the reception should go, but there are basic order of events. We give therefore, the basic wedding reception rundown.
Registration: Just like any event, guests should register first. This can stop gate crashers to get in. This will also let the guests know their seating arrangement and if they have special participation in the reception.
Cocktail Hour: This is becoming a norm now in the Philippine wedding scene especially if the dinner has to be served later. This is like the welcome drinks for the guests once they are done with the registration.
First Dance: Once everyone has settled, the host will introduce the entourage and the newly wed. Of course, everyone is also anticipating of the couple’s first dance as man and wife.
Welcome Toast: The celebration officially kicks in once the best man (maid-of-honor or someone dearest to the couple) offers a toast to welcome everyone and solicit heartfelt participation.
Dinner: Here comes everyone’s favorite part—dinner. While people are lining up (if it’s buffet style), photo ops with the couple can coincide with this to control traffic.
Speeches/Performance: The reception won’t be complete without hearing some heart wrenching (sometimes cringe worthy) speeches from parents, best friends, and other guests. Parlor games and surprise performances often happen here.
Wedding Cake Cutting: Finish the formal program with the couple cutting and taking a bite of their wedding cake. As rare as it may be, releasing of doves can concur here.
Party: Everyone is encouraged to go to the dancefloor and dance your heart outs with the newly wed!
Admit it or not, everyone is highly anticipating the wedding reception. Although the ceremony is the more important and consecrated one, everyone looks forward to a good food, good drinks, and fun after-party! You might have already seen some ideas on Facebook, Instagram or YouTube as to how to make your wedding reception memorable, but here we are today, listing down 5 vital ways to make yours a lit celebration!
1. An array of good food: As the adage says, “The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach”. While this is true, we believe this actually applies to all. The food you serve in the reception can—to some extent—make or break the whole experience. If within the budget, go for a 5 course meal or incorporate a section for organic food or something your guests can customise.
2. Tweak your first dance: Surprise your guests with a unique first dance. After slow dancing to an Ed Sheeran song, break it down with a Bruno Mars anthem! For sure, everyone will sing and dance along.
3. Production number is key: Summon your guys and girls to pull off a surprise production number ala ASAP! Make your reception as artistically entertaining as hell.
4. Fun games are not just for kids: If you think parlor games are just for kids and for birthday parties, then think of it again! Games are also for kids at heart! It would also be nice if you can come up with fun games for couples. Just imagine how hilarious it would be.
5. Good music is life: Hire a DJ that gets you! There is never a dull moment when there is good music filling the air in the venue. Have a blast from the past with 90s good old music or kill the beat with some EDM tracks. Everyone, even the ones with two left feet, will surely jive.